Re: hugepage: Strict page reservation for hugepage inodes

"'David Gibson'" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:38:58AM -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> > David Gibson wrote on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:23 AM
> > > Yes.  This is a simplifying assumption.  I know of no real application
> > > that will waste pages because of this behaviour.  If you know one,
> > > maybe we will need to reconsider.

> > > I know the patch - I was going to port it to the current kernel, but
> > > came up with my patch instead, because it seemed like a simpler
> > > approach.
> >
> > I really think the Variable length reservation system is the way to go
> > for tracking hugetlb commit.  It is more robust and in my opinion, it
> > is better than traverse the page cache radix tree.  At least, you don't
> > have to worry about all the race condition there.  Oh, it also can get
> > rid of the hugetlb_instantiation_mutex that was introduced.  Someday,
> > people is going to scream at you for serializing hugetlb fault path.
>
> Well, not my decision, or yours I think.  wli?  akpm?

You're the guy who's doing all the work...

The linear list walk is a worry.  Every time we have one of those someone
gets bitten by it.

It's rather similar to the vma rbtree.

The radix-tree supports both in-order traversal and O(log(n)) lookup.  For
non-duplicated-key items it _should_ be OK?  (It could be used for
duplicated-key items too, btw).