Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: Fw: Re: oops in choose_configuration()

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Alan Stern <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew, if you tell us what's in your /proc/bus/usb/devices we'll see
> >  whether that was the real problem.
>
> Below.

Unforunately, the data shows that all your devices' configurations do
indeed have at least one interface.  (Unless your ALPS or Microsoft HID
device just happens to report differently once every few thousand
times...)  So scratch that theory.  Besides, it doesn't explain the
crashes you got that were not connected to usb_choose_configuration.

> >  In any case, a patch follows.
>
> ooh, I like patches.

We should keep the patch.  After all, some weird device might need it
eventually.

> This crash manifests in several ways.  Pretty much any debugging patches
> seem to make it hide.

Aren't those your favorite kind of bugs?  Maybe we should just add a
permanent debugging patch, with the expectation that it will never trigger
and therefore will solve the bug.  :-)

What about those scheduler changes you found through the bisection search?
Any word on that?

Alan Stern