Re: Status of AIO

aio_* functions are library routines in glibc that are implemented by spawning threads to use the normal kernel io syscalls. They don't use real async IO in the kernel. I'm not sure why you didn't see the thread, but if you look up the glibc sources you will see how it works.

To use the kernel aio you make calls to io_submit().

Dan Aloni wrote:
Well, I've written a small test app to see if it works with network
sockets and apparently it did for that small test case (connect() with aio_read(), loop with aio_error(), and aio_return()). I thought perhaps the glibc implementation was running behind the scene, so I've checked to see if it a thread was created in the background and I there wasn't any thread.