Re: State of the Linux PCI and PCI Hotplug Subsystems for 2.6.16-rc5

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:47:05PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 02:35:45PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI and PCI Hotplug
> > subsystems as of 2.6.16-rc5
> >
> > If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
> > outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
>
> Not an direct outstanding issue, but more a TODO.
> The section mismatch check that is now part of a regular kernel build
> (in -mm) detected a number of cases with inconsistency in __devinit
> versus __init usage. Some are still outstanding and needs to be fixed.
>
> The natural next step is to extend the check to cover __devinit,
> __devinitdata so we to some extent knows things are consistent should
> someone decide to build a kernel without hotplug enabled.
>
> The task is simple enough:
> Add a new section for __devinit, __devinitdata
> Add consistency check in modpost.

Yes, thanks for reminding me.

> I took a short look at it, but done right stuff from vmlinux.lds ought
> to be consolidated in asm-generaic/vmlinux.lds.h, but my head started
> spinning when I went through the different $(ARCH)/kernel/vmlinux.lds
> files.

It's not that bad, you really only have to touch
include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h from which all the other .lds files
are generated.  There are 2 others, arch/m68knommu/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S
and arch/v850/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S which seem to not use this file, and
that's it.

See my EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL_FUTURE() patch for an example of all that
should need to be done to modify this file for this feature.

And yes, I agree that we should do it to fix the issues you have pointed
out.

thanks again,

greg k-h