Re: Coverity Open Source Defect Scan of Linux

(sorry for not responding to all Qs in the last email)

Some questions regarding this move:
- can you migrate the accounts from linuxbugsdb.coverity.com?

I will look into this -- I don't see any reason not to.

- are the comments Linux kernel developers like me did at linuxbugsdb.coverity.com migrated to scan.coverity.com or was this wasted work?

That may be a bit more challenging, but again, I'll look into it. The goal, of course, was not to waste your (or anyone's) work...

Another thing you could give a small clarification about:
Your email sounds as if your offer was like a charity offer from Coverity, Inc.

OTOH, I remember press rumors of Coverity, Inc getting 297 000 Dollar for this from the Department of Homeland Security.

I'm sure you are not silently omitting that you are getting public fundings for what you are offering, but an official statement would be nice.

Snipped from http://scan.coverity.com:

"In collaboration with Stanford University, Coverity is establishing a new baseline for software quality and security in open source based on the analysis of over 30 of the most critical and widely used open source projects in the world. Under a contract with the Department of Homeland Security, we apply the latest innovation in automated defect detection to uncover some of the most critical types of bugs found in software.

We are making the results of our automated analysis available to the maintainers within the open source community. Additional projects will be added over time. Through this process, our hope is that the benefits of the open source model are further accelerated with faster and easier remediation of defects in open source."

I feared my original email was a bit too long as it stood...apologies if anyone felt misled.

-ben