Re: Doubt about scheduler

Nick Piggin wrote:
Raúl Baena wrote:

Thank you very much Jon. But I think I haven´t explained very well.

I know that now the prio_array and runqueues structs aren´t accesible for modules, but in the 2.6.5 version they were. I would like to know the reason, why before they were accesible and now they don´t? If you could answer me, it would be great.

I don't remember them being available in 2.6.5... but as to why they
aren't available now: it is much cleaner this way. It even benefits
you because now nobody will break your module when they change the
data structure.

SuSE patched their 2.6.5 kernel to make the run queues visible in a header file. Perhaps Raul was using a SuSE version of 2.6.5.

I could to write the reason in my university job. (In Spain we have to make a final degree job, and mine is about modules in linux (I chose this), I would like to show information of the new scheduler, a scheduler monitor, and these fields are indispensable for me)

If your task is about modules in Linux, then I don't see how that
involves the scheduler at all?

On the other hand, if you want a scheduler monitor then I can't see
why it would be appropriate to implement as a module (we have schedstats,
which you can read from a userspace program or daemon).

Nick

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce