TCP control block interdependence

Hi,

I am not sure if it is the right place to post this but people at
comp.protocols.tcp-ip, comp.os.linux.networking suggested it.
Could you please cc the reply to [email protected]?

as a part of my studies I have to investigate some link layer protocol impacts on TCP performance...so I have some emulator working on linux, and I was investigating the impact of delay spikes....

I results I am getting are a little bit wierd and I think it is mainly due to TCP control block interdependence implementation in linux....

EXPERIMENT ILLUSTRATING THE PROBLEM
=======================================

I downloaded a 100K file using FTP over a 384kbps connection...and I introduce a delay of 10 sec, 2 seconds after the download starts..

case 1)
I did four downloads immediatley after each other

case 2)
I did four downloads but this time, I wait ten mintues before the next download

results)
Case 1) I have a lot of retransmissions in the first one (because of the 10sec gap)..but the rest dont seem to suffer from retransmission at all, even during the 10sec gap...the rtt values confirm it ..i,e. in the first case, the rtt curve shows the RTT values are mostly below 1 sec..while in the next three downloads, the RTTs are sometimes more than 10sec....showing that the RTO value used for the three cases is something different than the first one
curves can be found at :tsg=time sequence graph
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_1_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_1_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_2_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_2_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_3_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_3_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_4_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case1_4_rtt.ps

Case 2) There is almost no different between the four downloads
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_1_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_1_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_2_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_2_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_3_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_3_rtt.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_4_tsg.ps
http://kom.auc.dk/~oumer/case2_4_rtt.ps

From these I conclude that there is some TCP congestion control and retransmission parameter caching, that is also time dependant....
and I want to disable it completley...

So in short do you know how to disable this control block interdepence? I am doing experiments related to some link layer issues, and any dependancy between two consecutive connections to the same host is seriously biasing my results..and to get statistical measures, I have to do the runs hundrends of times, under different conditions, so I cant afford to wait several minutes between consecutive runs (to make sure control block interdependence is not at work)...so maybe there is a way to trick linux tcp not to apply interdependence?

In the Linux congestion control paper by Pasi Sarlhoti, "Congestion Control in Linux TCP" it is mentioned that "the Linux destination cache provides functionality similar to the RFC 2140 that proposes Control Block Interdependence between the TCP connections." but there was no additional details...

in http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/research/iwtcp/kernel-patch/README-2.4.18-frto-20020419.txt I found some text where there is a patch that will make it possible to control the interdependence setting..but I am using some servers at our university, and I dont think the admins will be willing to install patches that are not stable....
how stable is this patch? and have anyone been using it?
Is there another simple way like setting some default values in some headers and recompiling the kernel, maybe the admins will be willing to do that for me in some servers (I am not that familiar the linux kernel, and I have to admit I had never recompiled/"messed" with it...)

by the way I am using debian linux distribution and "uname -a" gives me
Linux 2.4.25-std #1 SMP Mon Mar 22 10:25:51 CET 2004 i686 unknown

Thanks in advance,
Oumer Teyeb