Re: modutils

On 3/3/06, tim tim <[email protected]> wrote:
> here i am trying to install 2.6.10 kernel on the system that was fully
> installed RedHat EL3 (2.4.21). we followed this procedure..
I suspect that you might need to install a copy of mod-init-tools, the
latest version of which is 3.2.2.

> to install a kernel .. is it necessary to have a fully installed
> system..
I'm not sure what you mean. At least one system will need a compiler
and other libraries necessary to build the kernel. However, you could
configure and build a kernel on one machine and then copy it and its
related modules to another machine that does not have a compiler and
install the kernel there. In that way, you wouldn't need a
fully-installed system in order to install a kernel.

> and whether the kernel 2.6.10 can be installed on Fedora Core
> 3..
After a few searches, I think FC3 comes with a modified 2.6.9, so
moving to 2.6.10 should be possible. If not, then FC4 is out and
probably comes with a kernel newer than 2.6.10.

Hope this helps.

-Andy