RE: 2.6.16rc5 'found' an extra CPU.

>sysfs gets it right.
>
>(23:11:01:davej@nemesis:~)$ ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/
>cpu0/  cpu1/
>(23:11:07:davej@nemesis:~)$ ls /proc/acpi/processor/
>CPU1/  CPU2/  CPU3/

This is because the BIOS has three "Processor" objects in the DSDT.

As I've mentioned before, /proc/acpi/*/* should not exist.
Internal ACPI BIOS names "CPU1, CPU1, CPU3" in this case
are actually arbitray 4-character strings, and should
never be exposed to the user in the file-system.

sysfs with cpu0, cpu1 -- predictable strings for objects --
gets it right, and is the direction we are going.

I'm afraid that even after we get this stuff out of /proc
and into sysfs where it belongs, we'll have to leave /proc/acpi around
for a while b/c unfortunately people are under the impression
that the path names there actually mean something and
they can actually count on them -- which they can't.

-Len