Re: [2.6 patch] make INPUT a bool

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:07:38PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > >No, SND=m is also possible in the EMBEDDED=n case.
> > >
> > This example was to show that INPUT should not be y-only. Except if you plan to
> > make SND y-only too.
>

> Please try to understand the following:
> - INPUT=m is already only available if EMBEDDED=y

That is because too many people were making the mistake of saying 'N' to
INPUT. EMBEDDED here was really chosen while meaning EXPERT. This has
nothing to do with the kernel image size - the size of input.c is pretty
minimal anyway.

> - as I did already explain, EMBEDDED=y and MODULES=y at the same
>   time doesn't make much  sense

It doesn't. But in the same way making INPUT depend on EMBEDDED doesn't
make sense if you intend EMBEDDED to truly mean what it says.

> As I already said, SND=m is completely different since it is also
> available in the (common) EMBEDDED=n case.

It's not. Input, like sound, scsi, usb, firewire .... is just another
subsystem in the kernel. The kernel can live without it, and it used to
work just fine when all modular, including autoloading.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs