[OT] Re: Git via a proxy server?

Sergey Vlasov wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:44:23 -0500 Salyzyn, Mark wrote:

Rsync protocol for git is not working for some reason when I pick up the
trees; apparently others share my experience. So I switched to the git
protocol. I can pick up the trees via git if I am outside Adaptec's
network, but inside I need to go through the proxy server.

I have successfully used transconnect
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/transconnect) for tunnelling git
protocol through a HTTP proxy (squid in my case) supporting the CONNECT
method.

Git also supports the GIT_PROXY_COMMAND environment variable (or
core.gitproxy config option), through which you can specify a program to
be run instead of connecting to a TCP port - then you can use netcat for
connecting through proxy; however, I have not tried this.

I know I'm comming kinda late, but I'm using:

export GIT_PROXY_COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/proxy-cmd.sh

and proxy-cmd.sh is just single-line command glued from what I found available in /bin:

#! /bin/bash

(echo "CONNECT $1:$2 HTTP/1.0"; echo; cat ) | socket proxy.ourcompany.com 3128 | (read a; read a; cat )

Replace socket's arguments 'proxy.ourcompany.com 3128' with your http proxy. Fortunately our proxy does not see anything wrong with git's port.
				Best regards,
					Petr Vandrovec