Re: Building 100 kernels; we suck at dependencies and drown in warnings

On 2/26/06, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > It's well-known that BROKEN_ON_SMP drivers often spit 50 warnings in one
> > > warning. If you remove the dozen worst drivers the numbers should look
> > > much better.
> > >
> > Better yet, let's fix the warnings.
>
> It's never bad if someone converts drivers still using cli/sti.
>
> Unfortunately, this is non-trivial...
>
> > > Not that our current situation was perfect, but the number of warnings
> > > in .config's people usually use isn't that bad.
> >
> > I agree it's not too bad for most people. The point of my post was
> > mostly a "call to arms" trying to get people interrested in fixing all
> > the warnings and build errors we have.
>
> I'm agreeing that this is a good idea, I simply disagreed with your
> "we suck at..." point, since although we can become better we aren't
> that bad.

Ok, maybe that was a bit too stong wording.

> > There's a lot of focus on implementing new features - and that's great
> > - but there's little emphasis on fixing the problems we have and
> > already know about - I'd like to see that change, and my post was
> > mainly an attempt at making that happen :)
>
> IMHO, the real problems we already know about are not warnings, they are
> the ones listed at
>   http://bugzilla.kernel.org/
>
> And in these cases, the bugs in unmaintained areas of the kernel like
> APM or the floppy driver are the worst ones.

Agreed, those bugs should be fixed as well. Unfortunately most of them
are beyond my abilities, so I tend to focus on the stuff that I see is
broken and that I am actually able to help fix.  :-)

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html