Re: Patch to reorder functions in the vmlinux to a defined order

Tony Luck wrote:
On 2/23/06, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
As per previous discussions, Linus said he wanted a "static" list for this,
eg a list provided by the kernel tarbal, so that most people have the same
ordering at least. A script is provided to create this list based on
readprofile(1) output. The included list is provisional, and entirely biased
on my own testbox and me running a few kernel compiles and some other
things.

I think that to get to a better list we need to invite people to submit
their own profiles, and somehow add those all up and base the final list on
that.

1) How will this work in the face of CONFIG options that change the
list of symbols present in your kernel?  E.g. my hot oprofile list
might well contain a bunch of symbols from my NIC driver and whatever
filesystem I'm pounding on.

that is fine; symbols that aren't actually present just are ignored by the linker in this case

2) If you add enough lists from enough people, perhaps you'll get enough
coverage of the kernel with all their different workloads, that you'll have
too much to fit into the 2M page.

I am more optimistic; the total kernel size in "distro" configuration is about 3.5Mb. I would find it hard to believe that more than half of that is "hot" code even in a "many people send their profiles" setup.