Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

On Pá 24-02-06 11:58:07, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,

> > > I'm not used to thinking in these terms :). It would be normally be right,
> > > except that there will be some LRU pages that will never be freed. These
> > > would allow suspend2 to work in some (not many) cases where swsusp can't.
> > > It's been ages since I did the intensive testing on the image preparation
> > > code, but I think that if we free as much memory as we can, we will always
> > > still have at least a few hundred LRU pages left. That's not much, but on
> > > machines with less ram, it might make the difference in a greater percentage
> > > of cases (compared to machines with more ram)?
> >
> > Well, pages in LRU should be user pages, and therefore freeable,
> > AFAICT. It is possible that there's something wrong with freeing in
> > swsusp1...
>
> Well, if all of the pages that Nigel saves before snapshot are freeable in
> theory, there evidently is something wrong with freeing in swsusp, as we
> have a testcase in which the user was unable to suspend with swsusp due
> to the lack of memory and could suspend with suspend2.
>
> However, the only thing in swsusp_shrink_memory() that may be wrong
> is we return -ENOMEM as soon as shrink_all_memory() returns 0.
> Namely, if shrink_all_memory() can return 0 prematurely (ie. "there still are
> some freeable pages, but they could not be freed in _this_ call"), we should
> continue until it returns 0 twice in a row (or something like that).  If this
> doesn't help, we'll have to fix shrink_all_memory() I'm afraid.

I did try shrink_all_memory() five times, with .5 second delay between
them, and it freed more memory at later tries. Sometimes it even freed
0 pages at the first try.

I did not push the patch because

1) it was way too ugly

2) shrink_all_memory() should be fixed. It should not really return if
there are more pages freeable.
								Pavel
--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...