Re: [Patch 3/3] prepopulate/cache cleared pages

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
Arjan, just to get an idea of your workload: obviously it is a mix of
read and write on the mmap_sem (read only will not really benefit from
reducing lock width because cacheline transfers will still be there).

yeah it's threads that each allocate, use and then free memory with
mmap()

Is it coming from brk() from the allocator? Someone told me a while ago
that glibc doesn't have a decent amount of hysteresis in its allocator
and tends to enter the kernel quite a lot... that might be something
to look into.

we already are working on that angle; I just posted the kernel stuff as
a side effect basically

OK.

[aside]
Actually I have a scalability improvement for rwsems, that moves the
actual task wakeups out from underneath the rwsem spinlock in the up()
paths. This was useful exactly on a mixed read+write workload on mmap_sem.

The difference was quite large for the "generic rwsem" algorithm because
it uses the spinlock in fastpaths a lot more than the xadd algorithm. I
think x86-64 uses the former, which is what I presume you're testing with?

Obviously this is a slightly different issue from the one you're trying to
address here, but I'll dig out patch when I get some time and you can see
if it helps.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.