Re: [Patch 2/3] fast VMA recycling

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:30:29AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> One could argue that this should be a generic slab feature (the preloading) but
> that only gives some of the gains and not all, and vma's are small creatures,
> with a high "recycling" rate in typical cases.

I think this is wrong, and far too narrow in useful scope to be merged.
It's unnecessary bloat of task_struct and if this is really a problem, then
there is a [performance] bug in the slab allocator.  Please at least provide
the slab statistics for what is going on, as the workload might well be
thrashing the creation and destruction of slabs, which would be a much better
thing to fix.

		-ben