Re: udevd is killing file write performance.

John McCutchan <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-22-02 at 11:50 -0600, Robin Holt wrote:

> > > We could do this, and avoid the problem, but only in this specific
> > > scenario. The file being written is on a different mountpoint but whats
> > > to stop a different app from running inotify on that mount point?
> > > Perhaps the program could be altered instead?
> >
> > Looking at fsnotify_access() I think we could hit the same scenario.
> > Are you proposing we alter any appliction where multiple threads read
> > a single data file to first make a hard link to that data file and each
> > read from their private copy?  I don't think that is a very reasonable
> > suggestion.
>
> Listen, what I'm saying is that your suggested change will only help in
> one specific scenario, and simply having inotify used on the 'wrong'
> mountpoint will get you back to square one. So, your suggestion isn't
> really a solution, but a way of avoiding the real problem. What I *am*
> suggesting is that a real fix be found,

I have a bad feeling about this one.  It'd be nice to have an exact
understanding of the problen source, but if it's just lots of traffic on
->d_lock we're kinda stuck.  I don't expect we'll run off and RCUify
d_parent or turn d_lock into a seq_lock or anything liek that.

Then again, maybe making d_lock an rwlock _will_ help - if this workload is
also hitting tree_lock (Robin?) and we're not seeing suckiness due to that
then perhaps the rwlock is magically helping.

> instead of your hack.

It's not a terribly bad hack - it's just poor-man's hashing, and it's
reasonably well-suited to the sorts of machines and workloads which we
expect will hit this problem.