Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

> Yes, I tend to think that insmod should just block until all devices are
> ready to be used.  insmod doesn't just "insert a module".  It runs that
> module's init function.

that's just not always possible. Think USB, where you don't know the hub
is there.. until it had time to think about it for a bit after it got
power.

> But right now the default (and unalterable) behaviour is the oddball,
> rarely-desired and hard-to-handle one.

well there is one worse behavior: doing it sync for some, async for
others. That'd mean that the kernel needs to do all the work AND
userspace needs to do all the work *again*.

Lets at least pick ONE place where the work needs to be done ;)
(and if that is userspace, we can make a debug config option which
delays device announcing for a second or two just to help userland
developers debug their code)