Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:21:58AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> If we want more and more stuff to be poured into initrd, it's got to
> be made easier to debug and consistent across distributions, such that
> more people can test initrd configurations, and flush out the bugs,
> never mind the question of programs like udev randomly breaking
> between kernel releases.  Maybe it's time to consider moving all of
> that into the kernel source; if they wanted to be treated as part of
> the kernel, then let them liteally become part of the kernel from a
> source code and release management perspective.

With the klibc patches that move even more stuff in the early boot
process out into userspace, I would tend to agree with you about this.
If those changes ever go in, we will already have the framework to keep
these tools in the tree, and a method for building them

Discussions about if you want to use klibc for a long-running daemon
like udevd is for another time :)

thanks,

greg k-h