sysfs regressions (was: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions)

Christoph Hellwig schrieb am 2006-02-22:

> And to continue the rant: the broken mount uevent feature (which
> can't work right) got in without any serious review through the
> driver model tree.  just as all those break udev/etc patches that
> cause all these userland breakages for those people brave enough
> to use udev and surrounding bits.
>
> Folks, we need to stop breaking sysfs interface all the time.  Having
> attributes on objects is real nice from many perspectives, but it's
> also a burden because the internal object model is now seen by the
> outside world.  That means anything involving sysfs needs a careful
> design not random patching as the driver model core people appear to
> do.

Oh, and while we're at it: perhaps someone should revert the patch that
caused Douglas Gilbert to chase incompatible sysfs changes in his
user-space applications. It's pretty sad to see random breakage,
apparently by randomly changing / to : in paths from what I discern from
Doug's Changelog. (No, I don't have the background handy, neither would
I care; I just see the application chasing sysfs changes, and that's
enough to complain.)

--
Matthias Andree