Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

Hi!

> > > I can only speak for myself, but I want to work with my system from the
> > > moment my desktop is back.
> >
> > I Am Not A VM Hacker, but:
> >
> > What's the point of saving pagecache during suspend?  This seems like a
> > total waste.  Why don't we save a list of pages in pagecache to disk,
> > then, after resume, prefetch them all back in.  This will slow down
> > resume (extra seeks, minimized if we sort the list, and inability
> > to compress these pages), but it will speed up suspend, and it sounds
> > a lot simpler.  There's already a patch to add swap prefetching, and
> > this can't be much more complicated.
>
> The page cache contains the process pages, among other things, so it can't all
> be discarded with impunity. You're right in suggesting that
> discarding them

Well, we already have perfectly good code to free pagecache.

> and then prefetching them would be a potential alternative, but it would
> actually be more complicated: you'd still have to remember which pages you
> wanted to fault back in, and some how store that info in the
> image. You'd

That's okay. Imagine

"cat /proc/vm/pagecache-contents > /tmp/delme" just before suspend and
"cat /tmp/delme | prefetcher" just after it. Prefetcher is actually
simple app that reads specified pages, then discards them. It can
actually be done in userspace around regular swsusp/uswsusp/suspend2
with no impact on it.

								Pavel

--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...