Re: (pspace,pid) vs true pid virtualization

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
I think the first thing we have to do, is not to decide which pids we want to see, but what and how we want to virtualize.

No, let's not even decide on that :).

I think where we've come to, is that there is no *important* difference
between virtualising on a per-process or a per-process family basis, so
long as you can suitably arrange arbitrary families it is equivalent to
the "pure" method of strict per-process virtualisation as Eric has been
implementing.

Depending on the flags on the XID, we can incorporate all the approaches
being tabled.  You want virtualised pids?  Well, that'll hurt a little,
but suit yourself - set a flag on your container and inside the
container you get virtualised PIDs.  You want a flat view for all your
vservers?  Fine, just use an XID without the virtualisation flag and
with the "all seeing eye" property set.  Or you use an XID _with_ the
virtualisation flag set, and then call a tuple-endowed API to find the
information you're after.
This sounds good. But pspaces are also used for access controls. So this should be incorparated there as well.

Yes, and I'm hoping that with the central structure there it should be
easy to start re-basing the Linux VServer patch as well as openvz and
any other similar technology people have.

Then we can cherry-pick features from any of the 'competing' solutions
in this space.

I have a preliminary patch, and hope to have a public submission this
week.

Sam.