Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

On Monday 20 February 2006 10:39, Matthias Hensler wrote:
> > > The only con I see is the complexity of the code, but then again,
> > > Nigel
> >
> > ..but thats a big con.
>
> So why is that? From what I see, most of the code is completly independ
> of the rest of the kernel, and just does not affect if it is disabled.
>
> It won't do any harm to the kernel, and again, Nigel is constantly
> improving that situation, so for sure, that is no _big_ con.

I might add that you'd drag a devoted developer into the kernel team more
closely, which probably makes up for the 'added complexity' anyway.

The gain in working *together* on suspend2 is worth much more than the 'added
complexity' Pavel complains about. Nigel has stated more than once that he'd
be happy to maintain suspend2, and he's done so for quite some time already,
which proves his point. Nigel is paid to work on suspend2, so it's not likely
to go away once he has a new hobby (and again, he's been doing great work for
some time already).

So what about working on merging suspend2 finally? Having a proven, stable and
feature-rich implemenation available quickly, *and* someone who maintains
*and* support it actively does not sound like a bad deal to me.

One should not underestimate the gains that a suspend2 merge has on the
development merely by stating 'added complexity', that pays off _any_day_.

By the way, does 'working on uswsusp' mean that Pavel and will put less work
in maintaining swsusp? That does not sound too promising to my sore ears.

Personally, to work with, I'd prefer a developer who's responsibly dealing
with users' questions and problems any day to one who rejects 99% of emails
that don't contain a patch and 95% of those that contain one, stating 'WTF, I
don't like that'.

Bottom line: Judging developer resources only by lines of code added does not
make too much sense.
--
sebas

Accident, n.:	A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
body is better.  - Foolish Dictionary