Intel CSA Gigabit Bug in IC7-G Motherboards- Affects Windows/Linux

Apparently, A-BIT's Intel driver works for some people, but the Linux one causes the machine to crash. The same is also true if you use the driver from Intel's website. I was just wondering if there was any discussion on this list concerning this issue?

I have 4 ABIT IC7-G's and this problem only occurs on two of them, which I have disabled the onboard CSA gigabit nic and put in PCI NICS (intel gigabit) with no problems.

It appears there are some serious problems with Intel CSA GIGABIT with this motherboard, just curious to see if anyone out there heard anything about this?

The interesting part is the first page of this thread:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=18707

The author has a "death.zip" file, in which if you copy the file over the LAN it causes an instant crash. He's tried contacting A-Bit, but is it an A-Bit or Intel or Driver problem as it has been "reported" to work with A-Bit's driver.

I believe this post sums up the problems of IC7-G problems:

--

Yeah, can't have it all, can we? I had serious thoughts about RMA-ing my IC7-G last fall, but the 4 week tournaround was a bit too much downtime for my taste. To resolve the noisy mic-input issue, I bought a cheap soundcard. For the onboard CSA, I did nothing. Running at 1GbE, the NIC has worked very well, disregarding the numerous occations it has strangled my system to death, of course.

I feel sorry for you Sydtech, myself and everyone else out there ripping their hair out over the issues of the IC7. We have spent countless hours trying to figure out what's wrong, worrying about a lengthy RMA process and the adherent downtime - which in Sydtech's case just as well might result in a shabby refurbished MB fixing some problems, but adding others. Many of us have simply resorted to buying PCI add-in cards replacing the dysfunctional parts of the IC7.

We have paid the bill for ABIT's engineering shortcomings, not to mention wasting a lot of time and energy. Last spring I was looking for a MB for my new system. I wanted the best and with as many onboard functions as possible so I could have a less crammed case. I read all the reviews for the new i875 MB:s, where - for instance - HardOCP praised it, especially it's superiour sound quality (they did not even try the mic-input). Needless to say, I ended up with the expensive IC7-G, "cream of the crop" and bucketsful of headache.

Alright, so add-in cards cramming up our cases seem to be the easiest way to get the subsystems we've already payed for. But what's really infuriating is that ABIT just refuses to address the issues. No helping hand, no suggestions on how to get things right. They just keep ignoring us. Of course they read the forums, they just think keeping things quiet is their best strategy.

Well, anyhow, I have my strategy worked out for future technology acquisitions: I'll NEVER again buy first revision products the minute they come out. I refuse to again be an unpaid beta tester for an ungrateful and unhelpful manufacturer like ABIT. And I will also take reviews with loads of salt.

--

I was wondering if anyone from [email protected] could comment on this issue?

Thanks,

Justin.