Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?

Hi!

> > I would disagree.  The only difference between the two is WHERE the
> > state is maintained - ram vs. disk.  I won't really argue it though,
> > because it's just semantics -- call it whatever you want.
>
> It's not just semantics.  There's a real difference between maintaining
> state in the hardware and maintaining it somewhere else.  The biggest
> difference is that if the hardware retains suspend power, it is able to
> detect disconnections.  When the system resumes, it _knows_ whether a
> device was attached the entire time, as opposed to being unplugged and
> replugged (or possibly a different device plugged in!) while the system
> was asleep.  If the hardware is down completely, there is no way of
> telling for certain whether a device attached to some port is the same one
> that was there when the system got suspended.

I have strange system here (intel dual core prototype) that supplies
usb power even while it is "off". I'll need to find a way to fix that.

(Not that it is important to this discussion, just a reminder that strange hw exists)

--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms