Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Friday 17 February 2006 16:52, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >Sorry, the way to access SCSI generic via /dev/hd* is deprecated. If
> > > ide-scsi ir removed, then a clean and orthogonal way of accessing SCSI
> > > in a generic way is removed from Linux. If Linux does nto care about
> > > orthogonality of interfaces, this is a problem of the people who are
> > > responbile for the related interfaces.
> >
> > So what you want is to be able to use write() on a <sg-compatible> device
> > rather than doing SG_IO ioctl() on <any> device?
>
> This kind of disinformation is what constantly puts fuel into the fire....
>
> Are you a victim of the firebugs in this list?

Joerg, it may not be perfect, but it does work. If you're still worried about
how a few of the currently unmaintained devices still don't support SG_IO
then I suggest you find someone to take maintainership.

I have neither the skill nor the want to do it or I would, just to see if it
quieted you down any.

BTW, make it more than a couple of weeks for the patch I mentioned for libscg
- I still need a response about my suggestion to use the BTL addresses Linux
provides as the addresses passed around from libscg to cdrecord.

DRH