Separate Initramfs dependency on initrd (and therefore ramdisks)

A number of distributions (most importantly for me - Debian) use the
initrd as initramfs facility
I assumed that the passing of the data block would be independent of
ram disks seeing as
not using a ram disk was one of the major reasons for initramfs,  but
it seems that you need
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y which depends on CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y

Would a patch separating out the init image handling from the initrd
handling be welcome
and if so should the resulting init image code be dependant on a
CONFIG variable or
always on (like initramfs is now)

The only reference to this I found in the archives was:

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0508.1/0097.html