Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

Hello!

> Sorry, the way to access SCSI generic via /dev/hd* is deprecated.

By whom?

> ir removed, then a clean and orthogonal way of accessing SCSI in a generic
> way is removed from Linux. If Linux does nto care about orthogonality of
> interfaces, this is a problem of the people who are responbile for the related
> interfaces.

You open any SCSI device, you do SG_IO on it. What is non-orthogonal in that?

Yes, I agree with you that it's hard to do device discovery, but discovering
devices is completely orthogonal to doing I/O in them and it's also not
a problem specific to SCSI devices at all. Hence we want to find a general
solution suitable for *all* devices and that's what sysfs, udev and HAL are
for. They might have some rough edges yet, but they definitely solve the
right problem.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <[email protected]>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are different." -- Larry McVoy