Re: [patch 0/5] lightweight robust futexes: -V1

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> "Robustness" is about dealing with crashes while holding a lock: if a
> process exits prematurely while holding a pthread_mutex_t lock that is
> also shared with some other process (e.g. yum segfaults while holding a
> pthread_mutex_t, or yum is kill -9-ed), then waiters for that lock need
> to be notified that the last owner of the lock exited in some irregular
> way.
> At the heart of this new approach there is a per-thread private list of
> robust locks that userspace is holding (maintained by glibc) - which
> userspace list is registered with the kernel via a new syscall [this
> registration happens at most once per thread lifetime]. At do_exit()
> time, the kernel checks this user-space list: are there any robust futex
> locks to be cleaned up?
> i've tested the new syscalls on x86 and x86_64, and have made sure the
> parsing of the userspace list is robust [ ;-) ] even if the list is
> deliberately corrupted.

I've no knowledge about all this, and maybe I didn't get your
description, so forgive me if I'm talking garbage.

Anyway: If a process can trash its robust futext list and then
die with a segfault, why are the futexes still robust?
In this case the kernel has no way to wake up waiters with
FUTEX_OWNER_DEAD, or does it?

Johannes