Re: readahead logic and I/O errors

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Michael Tokarev wrote:

The thing is: I just fired a cdrom drive in my PC.
It was a good device, and now it's dead.
And the reason is the readahead logic, plus an unreadable
(damaged, scratched) CD-rom.
[]
Aside from the obvious read-ahead bug you discovered, have you
tried your CD drive after the reboot? It is not possible to
kill those things with software, even if attempting to write
with too much infrared LED drive. There is nothing except for
the removable disc to get hurt. Even the "head" isn't in contact.
It's just some infrared light, focused with a voice-coil, that
moves on a fixed platform.

I opened the drive after BIOS didn't detect it on reboot (after
power-off).  There's one fired (burned? perished? how's that in
english?) chip on the plate, wich smells like fired silicone.
 It looks like a ~5mm pit in the center of square chip, full of
ache, and there's a crack across it.  The drive is dead.

I think it's a chip which controls one of the motors of the drive,
most probably the one which moves the head, because the head
motor connector is right near the chip.

When I turned off power, the drive was *hot*, and it started
"trembling" (or chattering) when I turned power off.

It was a dvd-cd combo (read dvd, read-write cd) Teac drive, I
don't remember the model (there's no label on the drive, and
I can't send inquiry/identify command to it anymore, obviously).

Yest it looks like a problem in the drive *too*, as it should
not behave like that in the first place.  But the thing is, I
did know something's bad going on, I saw it, but I wasn't able
to stop it from linux, only poweroff stopped things from going.

/mjt