Re: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:32:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 5:40 am, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > Why not have udev and whatever comes after tell the kernel so that a
> > symlink is done in sysfs?  The kernel not deciding policy do not
> > prevent it from storing and giving back userland-provided information.
>
> That wouldn't help us.  If userspace generates the info, then userspace can
> drop a note in /dev or something to keep it there.

And all I've been saying is that userspace:

1- should drop a filesystem-level note, not require calling an
   executable with a time-varying interface and no real reason to
   think it will still be in use in a couple of years

2- should drop it in sysfs, because:
   a- if it is there and cleanly defined, and "use this netlink
      message to have a symlink created in sysfs pointing to the node you
      just created" is clean and simple enough, all the concurrent
      device-node generating tools will support it quickly (hotplug,
      udev, mdev, maybe others, who knows)
   b- nothing requires at that point the devices to be in /dev
   c- sysfs already manages all the directory hierarchy or naming you
      need to define uniquely a device, why replicate it somewhere else?

At that point I guess I just need to make a patch for the kernel side
and then we'll see.

  OG.