Re: Random reboots

 > During the years I've had this machine, I've experienced at least 10-15
> strange kernel bugs that only happened on this machine.  Each and every
> time I was *convinced* that the hardware was at fault (and people on the
> mailing list suggested it) until either a kernel came out that fixed the
> problem or a kernel developer positively identified it as a kernel
> problem and eventually fixed it.  This machine just seems to be a magnet
> for kernel bugs.

OK, reference to the similar issues I have seen on 2 boxes here at
work (ukqip01 & 02), I have dug out an old mail I sent to colleague
after the 3 time it happened to me:

"In fact it has happened to both of them now.  UKQIP01 restarted once
(about 3 years) ago in the middle of the night, then about 6 months
later UKQIP02 did the same.  If you remember I then replaced memory
from 512 to 1024.

Now UKQIP02 has done it again.

I am not too concerned, as twice in 3 years is not really a problem
(yet), but I am more curious as to why because I want to fix it.

It also only happens in the dead twilight hours too.

I will look at running memtest, but as you know that takes hours and
the box will have to taken down for the duration.

I will keep you informed."

This was last September 2005 - the time it happened before that was
Janurary 2005.

Very strange.

Nick