Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

>> >On Solaris, adding a new controler always asigns this new controler a new
>> >higher ID (except for the case when the sysadmin explicitly requests different
>> >behavior).
>>
>> What if the OS runs out of next-higher IDs?
>
>????
>
>Do you believe that an int32_t is not sufficient?

I can replug some media in and out repeatedly, maybe even use software to
do so. (stuff like sdparm -C eject on USB flash media do their thing)
The problem exists. You play it down like one does not need to check
malloc() for NULL just because "there's probably enough memory" when the
superuser started this process... I mean, it sounds like that.

Jan Engelhardt