Re: any FS with tree-based quota system?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Neil Brown wrote:
On Monday February 13, [email protected] wrote:

I would like to be able to apply a quota to a particular tree, and have every file and directory in the path of that tree count toward that tree's quota usage. I can prevent hard links across trees.

I noticed that Neil Brown wrote some patches fairly early on in the 2.4 cycle to do tree-based quota by UID. The last patch-set I found was against 2.4.14 (http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.14/) from late 2001, and did not come with patches to quota-tools.

Following is my tree-quota patch updated to 2.6.14.3. However it doesn't do exactly what you claim to want.

Thanks.

You still need to assign a uid to each user (the kernel needs some number to use as an index into the quotas file). But only the top-level directory of each tree needs to be owned by the uid. Files beneath the top can be owned by anyone.

I'm hoping to modify your patch to use the inode at the root of the tree instead of a particular uid as the quota owner, so that setting a quota of 50Mb on /some/location would charge usage for any children of /some/location to the inode of /some/location.

I can dig-up a patch for quota-utils if you want to proceed with this.

I would appreciate that.

-Chris