Re: Filesystem for mobile hard drive

Le quintidi 25 pluviôse, an CCXIV, Phillip Susi a écrit :
> Ahh, I see.  I've never seen anyone use it in conjunction with an si
> prefix.  I also think that they use it in RFCs because at the time they
> started writing them, bytes were not always 8 bits on all machines.
> Today it is a pretty safe assumption that a byte is 8 bits, so most
> people use the two terms interchangeably ;)

They continue using more octet than bytes even in recent RFCs. I have read I
do not remember where that the goal was to avoid byte/bit confusion.

I am sorry, I did not intend to start an off-topic subthread. I think I
should stick with kB/MB/GB unless I already used the full word earlier.

> I had that same thought a few weeks ago so I gave it a try.  I formatted
> a partition with UDF, put some files on it, then booted windows to see
> if it would take it.  It didn't :(

So bad... Perhaps it was asking too much...

> Hrm... interesting, I wonder how complete it is and what it's license
> is?

The man page (<URL:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5166/6mbb1kq22?a=view > for Solaris 10,
I believe OpenSolaris is based on it) tells briefly that the checked
inconsistencies are (I quote):

- Blocks claimed by more than one file or the free list
- Blocks claimed by a file or the free list outside the range of the file system
- Incorrect link counts in file entries
- Incorrect directory sizes
- Bad file entry format
- Blocks not accounted for anywhere
- Directory checks, file pointing to unallocated file entry and absence of a
  parent directory entry
- Descriptor checks, more blocks for files than there are in the file system
- Bad free block list format
- Total free block count incorrect

I do not know UDF at all, so I can not tell if this is enough or not.

As for the licence, it is the one of OpenSolaris <URL:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/licensing/opensolaris_license/ >, which is
free enough for the FSF to make efforts to have GPL3 compatible with it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George