Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On 2/13/06, Joerg Schilling <[email protected]> wrote:
> jerome lacoste <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > The output of cdrecord -scanbus is already parsable,
> >
> > But it doesn't show the OS specific mapping.
> >
> > > so what is your point?
> >
> > I am aiming for a compromise.
> >
> > My point is that people want to use dev=/dev/hdc in their interface,
> > because that's what they are used to. That's a point that I think you
> > cannot deny.
> >
> > If you want to still keep your dev=b,t,l command line interface, just
> > let the users know how your mapping is done. That will allow a
> > cdrecord wrapper to first query the mapping, then using this mapping
> > information and OS specific information (e.g. links) identify the
> > b,t,l expected by your interface.
> >
> > That way you have mostly no code change to do. And you keep your b,t,l
> > naming. Everybody is happy.
> >
> > I've added something like:
> >
> >                 fprintf(stdout, "%d,%d,%d <= /dev/%s\n",
> >                               first_free_schilly_bus, t, l, token[ID_TOKEN_SUBSYSTEM] );
> >
> > in scsi-linux-ata.c and it does what I want.
>
> The scanbus code was taken from "sformat".
>
> Sformat already includes such a mapping if you are on Solaris.
> Unfortunately this does cleanly work on Linux and for this
> reason is did not make it into cdrecord.

Jorg,

thanks for your answer.

I fail to understand how it is connected to my proposal. Maybe we
misunderstood each other.

I assume that you refer to the sformat/fmt.c implementation (sformat
3.5) being reproduced in cdrecord/scsi_scan.c (latest cdrtools).

Could you please elaborate on:
- what does the sformat scanbus code has to do with my proposal, whose
changes would mostly be located in the libscg modules, not in the
cdrecord module

- why 'it' doesn't clearly work on Linux. cdrecord clearly creates
this os specific to b,t,l mapping (e.g. in scsi-linux-ata.c,
scsi-wnt.c etc..). Why this mapping cannot be publicised in a
parseable format?

Jerome, still looking for a compromise.