Re: max symlink = 5? ?bug? ?feature deficit?

Al Viro wrote:
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 02:54:33PM -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
Al Viro wrote:
Care to RTFS? I mean, really - at least to the point of seeing what's
involved in that recursion.
Hmmm...that's where I got the original parameter numbers, but
I see it's not so straightforward.  I tried a limit of
40, but I quickly get an OS hang when trying to reference a
13th link.  Twelve works at the limit, but would take more testing
to find out the bottleneck.

Sigh...  12 works at the limit on your particular config, filesystems
being used and syscall being issued (hint: amount of stuff on stack
before we enter mutual recursion varies; so does the amount of stuff
on stack we get from function that are not part of mutual recursion,
but are called from the damn thing).
---
   Yeah, I sorta figured that.  Is there any easier way to
remove the recursion?  I dunno about you, but I was always taught
that recursion, while elegant, was not always the most efficient in
terms of time and space requirements and one could get similar
functionality using iteration and a stack.

   The GNU libraries _seem_ to indicate a max of 20 links supported
there.  Googling around, I see I'm not the first person to be surprised
by the low limit.  I don't recall running into such a limit on any
other Unixes, though I'm sure they had some limit.

   It can be useful for creating a shadow file-system where only
root needs to point to a "target source", and the "symlink" overlay
lies over the top of any real, underlying file.

   Why can't things just be easy sometimes...:-/
Linda