Re: CD-blanking leads to machine freeze with current -git [was: Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2 [ was: Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) ]]

On Friday 10 February 2006 15:12, Kyle Moffett wrote:
>On Feb 10, 2006, at 14:39, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Instead of rebooting, just wait for the blanking to finish.  My
>>> guess is that your burner and hard drive are both on the same ide
>>> channel, and so you can not access the disk while the burner is
>>> blanking.  If this is the case, put each drive on their own ide
>>> channel.
>>
>> It takes hard drive access to switch window focus? Yes, thats a
>> question.
>
>Depends on your programs and RAM.  If the program you try to switch
>to (or, say, part of X or your window manage) is swapped out for some
>reason, then yes, changing focus may cause said program to hang until
>it can swap the data in.  Usually that's a small fraction of a
>second, but if your IDE bus is waiting for a burn, then it could be
>the duration of the burn.
>
>Cheers,
>Kyle Moffett

Entirely possible I suppose, but I've seen it here quite a few times
when there was no swap involved, I've a gig of ram, so I would, just on
the evidence, have to assume something went gaga and its time to hit
the reset button.  cd blanking here is a just a few seconds operation
generally as I don't normally do the whole disk, thats a waste of time.

I've seen swap used here only one time since I rebuilt with a gig of ram
nearly 2 years ago now.  Uptime about 2 days, memory according to htop
is 384 megs used.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: