Re: RSS Limit implementation issue

On 2/9/06, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> That is what I would expect. Or perhaps even allowing the process to
> exceed the RSS but using the RSS limit as a swapper target so that the
> process is victimised early. No point forcing swapping and the RSS limit
> when there is free memory, only where the resource is contended ..

So we will need some kind of free memory threshold . If free memory is
more than it than we can let RSS exceed & scheduler can also schedule
it in this situation but not if free memory is less than the
threshhold. Also we need to figure out a way for swapper to target
pages based on RSS limit. One possible  disadvantage I can think is
that  as the swapper swaps out a page based on RSS limit , the
process's rss will become within the rss limit & then scheduler will
schedule this process again & hence possibly same page might have to
be brought in. This may cause increase in swapping. What do you think
how much realistic is this scenario?