man-pages-2.23 is released

Gidday,

I recently released man-pages-2.23, which can be found at the
location listed in the .sig.

This release includes the following new manual pages:

inotify_init.2
inotify_add_watch.2
inotify_rm_watch.2
    Robert Love, with some additions by mtk.
        New pages describing the inotify API.

inotify.7
    mtk
        Overview of the inotify API.

mbind.2
get_mempolicy.2
set_mempolicy.2
    Andi Kleen, with additional work by mtk
        New pages describing the NUMA memory allocation policy API.

rtc.4
    Urs Thuermann, with additional work by mtk
        New page describing the real-time clock driver.

Among other notable changes for existing pages are the following:

mlock.2
    mtk / Matthias Andree
        Added BUGS txt on interaction between MCL_FUTURE and
        RLIMIT_MEMLOCK.
        See the following LKML thread:
        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113801392825023&w=2
        "Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK"

sched_setaffinity.2
    mtk
        Major rewrite.

The man-pages set contains sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 of
the manual pages.  These sections describe the following:

2: (Linux) system calls
3: (libc) library functions
4: Devices
5: File formats and protocols
7: Overview pages, conventions, etc.

As far as this list is concerned the most relevant parts are:
all of sections 2 and 4, which describe kernel-userland interfaces;
in section 5, the proc(5) manual page, which attempts (it's always
catching up) to be a comprehensive description of /proc; and
various pages in section 7, some of which are overview pages of
kernel features (e.g., networking protocols).

This is a request to kernel developers: if you make a change
to a kernel-userland interface, or observe a discrepancy
between the manual pages and reality, would you please send
me (at [email protected] ) one of the following
(in decreasing order of preference):

1. An in-line "diff -u" patch with text changes for the
   corresponding manual page.  (The most up-to-date version
   of the manual pages can always be found at
   ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages or
   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages .)

2. An email describing the changes, which I can then
   integrate into the appropriate manual page.

3. A message alerting me that some part of the manual pages
   does not correspond to reality.  Eventually, I will try to
   remedy the situation.

Obviously, as we get further down this list, more of my time
is required, and things may go slower, especially when the
changes concern some part of the kernel that I am ignorant
about and I can't find someone to assist.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages/,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.