git for dummies, anyone? (was: Re: How in tarnation do I git v2.6.16-rc2? hg died and I still don't git git)

Paul> I'm trying to git a copy of Linus's tree, checked out only up
Paul> through revision v2.6.16-rc2, so that I can lay down Andrew's
Paul> latest broken-out quilt patch set for 2.6.16-rc2-mm1 on top of
Paul> it.

Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem yesterday and was pointed at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelGitGuide?highlight=%28CategoryKernel%29
as a starting point.

I was thinking it would be really nice if someone fancied writing a
git guide for dummies (like me) who only use git on and off. Something
that could be put either on git.kernel.org or a similar place.

Things like how to do basic checkouts, how to revert back to a certain
snapshot or a certain commit id, how to use git-bisect to track
breakage and other basic stuff.

Anyone looking for a pet project who fancies writing up something like
this? I can say for sure that it will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jes