Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Donnerstag 09 Februar 2006 10:39, you wrote:
> Are you _really_ missing basic know how to understand that fsck is
> using the block layer of a virtual "block device" emulated by UNIX
> while libscg is offering _direct_ acces to _any_ type of device
> allowing you to send _commands_ understood by the device?

You mix things up. As this thread is about writing CD's and cdrecord,
nobody here really wants you to use libscg to do your IO. Nobody here
wants cdrecord to be able to access any type of device - all of the
users of cdrecord just care about CD writers (and maybe DVD writers).
That is because you call your program cdrecord and not scanimage oder
cpuinfo. Actually none of the users of cdrecord even cares about how it
is able to talk to CD writers. They know that all other operations to
the CD writer can be done via /dev/cdrw, or however it is called on
their system, and would like to use the same device name to write a CD.
If libscg is unable to handle device names and needs to be feed with
strange numbers to address the writer, then libscg may be the wrong
tool.

> Please explain me:
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to scan an image from a scanner
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a CPU device
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a tape device
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a printer
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a jukebox
>
> -	how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a graphical device

I don't expect cdrecord to be able to do any of these jobs. I'd just
like to write a CD. To be honest - even if libscg would be able to peel
carrots I couldn't care less.

As for cdrecord I'm just one of those stupid users. I have a problem
(write a CD) - I'd like to solve this problem. And if the device
addressing scheme of cdrecord is different to all I've seen before from
all the other tools in my system, I blame cdrecord to be annoying not
the rest of my system - just because I have to investigate how to deal
with this program, instead of just being able to use it like all the
rest.

My 2 cents
Ralf

--
       An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.