Re: [discuss] mmap, mbind and write to mmap'ed memory crashes 2.6.16-rc1[2] on 2 node X86_64

On Thursday 09 February 2006 05:39, Bharata B Rao wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:06:26PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > So a provisional solution would be to simply ignore empty zones in
> > > bind_zonelist?
> >
> > That would likely prevent the crash yes (Bharata can you test?)
>
> With this solution, the kernel doesn't crash, but the application does.
>
> Shouldn't we fail mbind if we can't bind any zones ?

Really need to fix this properly to support both zones in mbind

> Does it make sense to have a separate policy_zone for each node so that we
> have atleast one(highest) zone in a node which comes under memory policy ?

That wouldn't solve the problem. The problem is that the mempolicy needs
at least two zonelists to handle all type of allocations (that is why
i added the concept of policy zone in the first place - to avoid the need
of multilevel zonelists in the policies)

Or maybe it's better to just don't do any policy for GFP_DMA32
allocations and always use the highest zonelist. I guess they're somewhat
rare anyways and the policy will rarely succeed.

-Andi