Re: Terminate process that fails on a constrained allocation

Can anyone give us a good reason why we shouldn't just remove the oom
killer, entirely?

Christoph wrote:
> If a task has restricted its memory allocation to one node and does
> excessive allocations then that process needs to die not other processes
> that are harmlessly running on the node and that may not be allocating
> memory at the time.

That _exact_ same argument applies to a system that only has one node.

If we want to remove the oom killer, lets just remove the oom killer.

> People are accustomed of having random processes killed? <shudder>

That's what the oom killer does ... well, it makes an honest effort
not to be random.

So, yes, since it has been there a long time, people are used to
it.  Maybe they don't like it, maybe with good reason.  But it
is there.

> OOM killing makes
> sense for global allocations if the system is really tight on memory and
> survival is the main goal

If that argument justifies OOM killing on a simple UMA system, then
surely, for -some- critical tasks, it justifies it on a big NUMA system.

Either OOM is useful in some cases or it is not.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability