Re: [discuss] mmap, mbind and write to mmap'ed memory crashes 2.6.16-rc1[2] on 2 node X86_64

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:36:30AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2006 00:27, Ray Bryant wrote:
> > >
> > > So it looks like the problem is arch specific. Test program runs fine on
> > > ia64.

> > > Yup lru field overwritten as I thought.
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> >
> > For what it is worth:
> >
> > Christoph's test program runs fine on my 32 GB, 4 socket, 8 core Opteron 64
>
> Opteron 64? A new exciting upcomming product? @)
>
> > box with 2.6.16-rc1.
>
> Yes it also works on my test box and also some other simple tests with MPOL_BIND.
> But we had similar reports on two different systems, so there's very likely a problem.
> Just need to reproduce it somehow.

I believe I understand why I am seeing this problem with my setup.

The zones in my machine look like this:

On node 0 totalpages: 773791
  DMA zone: 2151 pages, LIFO batch:0
  DMA32 zone: 771640 pages, LIFO batch:31
  Normal zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:0
  HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:0
On node 1 totalpages: 500592
  DMA zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:0
  DMA32 zone: 242032 pages, LIFO batch:31
  Normal zone: 258560 pages, LIFO batch:31
  HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:0

So it can be seen that the node 0 has only DMA and DMA32 zones while
node 1 has only DMA32 and Normal zones.

The current mempolicy code assumes that the highest zone(policy_zone) that
comes under the memory policy is valid (by which I mean zone->present_pages
is non-zero) for all nodes, which is not true in my case. In this case
the policy_zone gets set to ZONE_NORMAL (highest zone here).

When mbind'ing to node 0, bind_zonelist()(and subsequent functions) binds
the ZONE_NORMAL zone to vma->vm_policy. During the write fault, the allocator
is asked to allocate from a non-existent ZONE_NORMAL zone for node 0. This
I believe is causing the oops I am seeing. It is still not clear to me
why doesn't the allocator fail the allocations from a zone which has
zone->present_pages=0 gracefully.

This whole problem wasn't seen on 2.6.15.2 because, bind_zonelist()
actually makes sure that the zone it is binding to has a non-zero
zone->present_pages.

Regards,
Bharata.