Re: 2.6 vs 2.4, ssh terminal slowdown

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:11:49PM +1100, Grant Coady wrote:
> This console sluggishness is noticeable enough on older hardware for me to
> forgo exercising 2.6.latest.stable bugs for much time on it ;)
>
> For those suffering deja vu, yes, I reported this last month (or, recently).

This bug report is a bit vague in terms of what the problem is -- the
test case hits 3 major subsystems (io, vm, net), all of which have changed
rather substantially in the course of 2.6 development.  Would it be possible
to profile the system using oprofile to get an idea what the hotspots are?
Have you compared basic hard disk throughput with hdparm, as well as
ensuring DMA is enabled with 32 bit io?  What about testing network
performance with netperf (or a netcat of /dev/zero)?  A few more data points
would be quite helpful.  Cheers,

		-ben
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to interrupt, but the police are here
and they've asked us to stop the party."  Don't Email: <[email protected]>.