Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

Hi.

On Sunday 05 February 2006 03:18, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,

> > > I mean now they should freeze voluntarily and your patches change
> > > that so they would have to be created as non-freezeable if need be,
> > > AFAICT.
> >
> > Ah. Now I'm on the same page. Lost the context.

> > > Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do in swsusp. ;-)
> >
> > Oh. What's Pavel's solution? Fail freezing if uninterruptible threads
> > don't freeze?
>
> Yes.
>
> AFAICT it's to avoid situations in which we would freeze having a
> process in the D state that holds a semaphore or a mutex neded for
> suspending or resuming devices (or later on for saving the image etc.).
>
> [I didn't answer this question previously, sorry.]

S'okay. This thread is an ocotpus :)

Are there real life examples of this? I can't think of a single time that
I've heard of something like this happening. I do see rare problems with
storage drivers not having driver model support right, and thereby causing
hangs, but that's brokenness in a completely different way.

In short, I'm wondering if (apart from the forking issue), this is a straw
man.

Regards,

Nigel