Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

Hi!

> > This was personal email. It is pretty rude to post it to public lists.
> >
> > > But hey, you seem to be bent on not having it - and you seem to be the
> > > one making that calls, so the rest of us that just want to use the
> > > notebooks properly will have to patch until someone decides that
> > > having something that works is more important than being right all the
> > > time.
> >
> > In the end, it is important what is right, not what works. If you do
> > not understand that -- bad for you.
>
> True, but in something like putting code in the kernel vs in userspace,
> people apply different criteria in determining what is right. God hasn't
> written "You shall do suspend to disk in userspace" (and we'd probably

Would written notice from Linus be good enough? :-))))

> best way is. Is userspace the 'right' solution? Well, yes, it does let you
> add features without adding to kernel code. But it also creates other
> problems. Putting it in kernel space has issues too - some things like
> userui are best left where they won't necessary take down the whole
> process if they don't work right. Personally, I think we're getting too
> polarised here. I've already accepted that there's a space for userspace
> code by merging (into Suspend2) code that puts the user interface there,
> along with management of storage. You agree that somethings, such as
> the

I did not know about storage management.

> atomic copy, simply can't be done in userspace. Without having looked
> seriously at the code yet, I'd be pretty sure that you're also leaving the
> calculation of what pages to store in the kernel. That just leaves how to
> store the image. Aren't we actually a lot closer than it has appeared?

Well, perhaps we are. It should be possible to move suspend2 into
userspace, and at that point we can share all the kernel-level code
(and probably all the user-level code, too :-).
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!