Re: PROBLEM: PS/2 keyboard does not work with 2.6.15

Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov <at> gmail.com> writes:

 On 1/9/06, Alan Stern <stern <at> rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
 > On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
 >
 > > > It would be nice to know which part of the usb-handoff code causes the
 > > > problem.
 > >
 > > Well, it's not handoff code causing problems per se, it's just that it
 > > does not look like it performs handoff. If it did then disabling USB
 > > legacy emulation in BIOS would have no effect, right?
 >
 > On the other hand, if the BIOS worked correctly then the ps/2 port would
 > have no problems regardless of whether USB legacy emulation was on or off.
 > Given that the keyboard works during bootup, I see only two possibilities:
 >
 >        The USB handoff code somehow causes the BIOS to mess up the
 >        state of the 8042;
 >
 >        The 8042 driver interacts badly with the firmware when USB
 >        legacy emulation is on, and the USB handoff code doesn't
 >        successfully turn off legacy emulation.
 >
 > My earlier suggestion was an attempt to test the first possibility.  The
 > second is harder to test because it implies problems in both the 8042
 > driver and the USB handoff code.

 My experience is that USB legacy emulation in BIOS + ACPI works as
 long as you do not touch it and gets terribly confused if someone
 tries to actually use i8042 (like enable active multiplexing mode with
 4 AUX ports). As soon as BIOS takes its dirty hands off i8042
 everything works fine.

 The problem it seems that when usb-handoff code was moved from pci
 quirks and enabled inconditionally something happened so it stopped
 doing handoff.

 Dmitry

hi
I experienced same problem, but after complilng latest kernel the problem is
rectified. So I think problem with kernel 2.6.11,13 ..could be rectified by
compiling with a higher version of kernel.
regd
mahesh