Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

On Thursday 02 February 2006 02:11, David Schwartz wrote:
> 	The reason you can't modify the GPL, even we assume the GPL is licensed
> under the GPL, is because the GPL says you can't modify the GPL.
     So you're saying that the two lines that are the GPL's copyright
license, are also part of the terms and conditions of the GPL, and act in
that capacity as a restriction of what you can do under Section 2? That's
an interesting argument, I might agree.

> 	It is logically impossible for the GPL to be GPL-incompatible. To be
> GPL-incomptabile, a license would have to contain requirements or
> restrictions not found in the GPL. How could the GPL possibly do that?
     It's not the GPL doing that, it's the GPL's license. But perhaps the
restrictions of the license are also restrictions of the GPL, they are part
of the text of that document after all.

Well enough pedantism for me.

Andrew Wade